Sunday, June 22, 2008

You asked me to keep 'em coming...

The girls' shared bedroom...can I take this moment to issue a call for help. It used to be so easy
to get Macy to sleep; we had a simple routine of reading, cuddling, and then I would lay her down, turn on her lullabye music and leave, closing the door behind me. She never made a peep. Now, every night she pushes the envelope. She needs to go the bathroom, she jumps on the bed, she cries hopelessly for more cuddle time. I usually lay them down around 8:00 ish and she is never asleep before 9:30. I'm trying to walk a delicate line, asserting myself as consistent and authoritative while at the same time letting the girls bond and develop the friendship and memories that only sisters can have. Oftentimes, I resort to putting her in the guest bedroom after several bouts of threatening, spanking, etc. etc. I'm really making myself vulnerable here I realize, but I really want to handle this right. I mean do you let them jump and run and around until they crash? Do you not assert rules and issue consequences? What are effective consequences anyway? I will add that I do manage to keep a cool head through all of this. It is very important to me to not be angry when I am trying to discipline, and that I believe, I manage to do. Macy just seems immune to all of my attempts. I thought about ditching the afternoon nap, but after a few test-run days, I concluded she still needs that to function well. Can anyone provide me with a breakthrough?


Girls room #2


Girls room #3


2nd full bath


Can you imagine what is hiding behind this lovely shower curtain?

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

i love your house, it is beautiful. keep the pics coming!

Melanie said...

the girl's room is beyond adoreable!!

Lauren said...

The girls' room is so darling! I love it!

I totally understand your woes with bedtime. We've definitely had our ups and downs around here!

I once saw on "Supernanny" a tactic that seems to work...

(I found this online)
http://www.oprah.com/relationships/relationships_content.jhtml?contentId=con_20050121_bedtime.xml§ion=Family&subsection=Parenting

It might be worth a try! :) Good luck & keep us updated!

Lauren said...

It doesn't look like that link worked, so here is what it said...


Rules for Bedtime

O, The Oprah Magazine "Sleeping with your children or sitting with them 'til they fall asleep is a big no-no," says Jo Frost, ABC's Supernanny and author of Supernanny: How to Get the Best from Your Children.

"Children need to learn to fall asleep by themselves," she continues. "What starts out as a little bit of extra comfort soon turns into a big issue about control. And trust me, your children will put off going to bed just to have you by their side." Try her sleep separation technique so everyone can get a good night's sleep.

Step One: Time for Bed
Take your child to their bedroom. Read a bedtime story, give them "kisses and cuddles" and tuck them in.

Step Two: Tough Love
Sit down on the floor or in a chair parallel to your child's bed so he or she can see the side of your face. As hard as it may be, bow your head and ignore their efforts to talk to you. It is important not to engage your child with eye contact.

Step Three: Stay In Bed
If your child climbs out of bed, return them to bed with no eye contact.

Step Four: Distance Yourself
Each night, move further and further away from the crib or bed. This pattern gives your child a sense of security in their bedroom.

Supernanny Jo Frost says children stay up at night to get the attention from their parents that they missed out on during the day. "The key message here is," says Jo, "if you spend time with your child during the day you're not neglecting him by putting this routine in place during the night."

JM Inc. said...

Lauren that is hugely helpful...some parts of it I think we've already been doing, but I think I let her engage me too easily. I'm definitely going to check this out and try it on Mace...thanks (: