Friday, June 13, 2008

Day Six: Florence, birthplace of the Renaissance

This the duomo in Florence; we did climb the stairs to the top and that was a challenge for someone with my degree of claustrophobia. These stairs were irregular, steep, narrow, and there was no light or air save what was accessible from these little tiny windows in an otherwise darkened stairwell. I lived from one window to the next. One step in front of the other...When we finally arrived at the top and could see the vistas of Florence I sighed with deep relief. Sometimes I really feel I might die from my claustrophobia, it's like I can't take any air in, and I panic, and then my temperature rises so quickly I feel like I am cooking from the inside out.
These are the famous doors of the baptistery. They are sculpted of bronze. The sculptor of these doors was 23 when he won the commission against rival artists including Donatello, Brunelleschi, and other masters of the era.


This is the view from the Ponte Vecchio bridge in Florence.

No comments: