Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Ode to Fathers

Father's Day was an experiment in ultimate domestication...well almost (: My sister-in-law Brandi's blog about her day sounds a lot like my own experience. I had visions of grandeur (remember I aspire to be a master of the kitchen?), and boy did I pay for my epiphany. I started the extravaganza Saturday night after the girls had gone to bed, and I'm not kidding, I didn't stop cooking from that time until 6:00p.m. the next day with short spells of sleep and church in between. It all paid off though, when I victoriously set the table for the days festivities. Our Father's Day started with pancakes, bacon, and eggs. For lunch Jonathan enjoyed his favorite (mom's recipe) pasta salad, and for dinner we had his favorite chicken (Nancee's marinated chicken on the grill, and yes, I actually grilled it myself), with cucumber cooler, FRESH squeeezed lemonade, and the star of the show, a HOMEMADE strawberry rhubarb pie complete with a homemade crust! I had never made a homemade pie and I had no idea what I was in for. It is an ordeal to prepare the dough and make the crust. That part alone took the better part of four or five hours with all the "chilling" time it required and pre-baking. Anyhow, the good news is the production was a huge success! We all had a great day with our Daddy and are so thankful he's the father he is. I don't even mind that they sometimes seem to love him more than me. I count my blessings everyday that Heavenly Father brought me such a loving, fun, involved father who makes everyone laugh and whose talents are always in demand! He inspires me to be better and do better and I am eternally grateful for his patience with me and his unconditional love.
I have the Breville Ikon juicer which I used to juice 2 full bags of lemons to make this lemonade. It took forever to peel the lemons, and by the time I was finished my fingers and cuticles were burning from the acid. I think I'm going to invest in a pair of latex gloves...

Cucumber cooler of course! How is it that this simple dish manages to make it to nearly ever major holiday in the Cope family?


My triumphant victory; I conquered the elusive perfect pie crust. Okay, so I didn't actually weave the lattice top like you are supposed to, but you can't tell that in the picture! The crust was REALLY yummy and the whole pie was delicious! We polished the whole thing off in three days...I'm glad I don't bake like this too often!


What is this strange looking orb, you ask? It is an ice cream maker! I surprised Jonathan with this little gem ( he already guessed the cologne and he SAW the tent) that you can take on campouts or pretty much anywhere and make ice cream with. It has a center cylinder that you fill with ice and rock salt. Then you flip it over and fill the "guts" with your icecream ingredients. You can toss it, kick it, pass it, and do anything else you would otherwise to with a ball. In about 20 minutes or so, you have your delicious homemade ice cream. Unfortunately, I checked the only two local grocery stores in Newtown Saturday night and neither of them had rock salt. So, we had to eat our pie without ice cream. BUMMER! Where do you buy rock salt anyway? Do I have to special order it somewhere? Anyway, we're planning on taking this with us to camp out in Palmyra for the Hill Cumorah pageant. I'll report later on its efficacy and ease of use.

6 comments:

rushtonfamily said...

I saw rock salt at Costco last week, but I think it's usually in the local grocery stores here too.

Elke said...

Will you post or email me your cuc cooler recipe? Sounds like a winner.

JM Inc. said...

How bizarre that I couldn't find it. I'll have to check Costco. Rock salt isn't the same as "coarse" salt, is it? I'll email the cucumber cooler recipe to you; it is fab!

Brandi said...

Target and Walmart have the rock salt too. I saw it in Target next to the ice cream makers, not in the grocery section.

That ball looks so fun. I've considered buying it before but ended up getting the traditional kind but that seems like so much more fun!!! love it!

JM Inc. said...

Brandi thanks for the heads up...we do have a target so I'll check there too. I didn't think to look outside the baking aisle for this stuff...guess you got to think outside of the box, eh?

Melanie said...

wow, yumm-o! i'll make sure rhett never sees this post for fear i will look totally inadequate! great meal and a very fun day it sounds (and looks) like!