Saturday, June 14, 2008

Day Two Cinque Terre: Jonny's Camera

Our little patio where we dined on tasty Italian morsels (:


The protected swimming hole we discovered near the center of town in Vernazza; I'm sure this place is no secret though. The town is so small I don't think there is anywhere kids can get into trouble because there's always someone watching you and there are no undiscovered places...
Dinner our first night in Vernazza...it was fabulous and the first truly delicious meal we enjoyed in Italy. We ate cheap in Rome, and cheap doesn't buy much. Here we had fresh anchovies, and they were fabulous! Previously I had been repulsed by these tiny fish of the sea, but fresh from the ocean (caught that day) and drizzled with olive oil and lemons they were fantastic. Jonathan order swordfish, and they brought him a plate with the entire cross-section of the fish. It looked like they just took a machete to the fish and whacked a piece out of the middle and slapped it on his plate; he loved it! It was also a catch of the day, literally. Vernazza and the rest of the Cinque Terre are dependent on the ocean and produce grown locally to survive. Very little is brought in from other places.
Hitting the five village trail...
We don't look like we've been at it long...still look a little too fresh faced!

4 comments:

Brandi said...

Mandy your trip sounds A-Mazing!!! I so hope to do that someday. You all are so lucky! :)

Glad you are doing the blog. :)

JM Inc. said...

Thanks Brandi...I'm really glad I finally got my rear in gear too! The trip was incredible; if we ever do that family business and get fabulously rich, I'd like to buy a summer villa in Tuscany (:

Lindsay said...

cute blog! your trip sounds awesome. i did that same trip w/ my family about 10 years ago and it was amazing. have you already moved?

JM Inc. said...

Yeah...we're in Newtown, Connecticut now. We've been here a little over a month and I'm still wallowing in my mess! I hate how long it takes to feel organized and settled in a new home, but that's life.