Friday, June 13, 2008

Day 7: Florence cont'd

Okay, I know it is touristy to show this pic, but I was impressed with these street artists. Could you draw the woman with the pearl earring out of sidewalk chalk and get these results? Not only are they good, but they can produce the image fairly fast too.
Never mind the BAD shadow from my hand( duh!), I was still learning how to take a picture with this fab camera. This is our room in Florence. The B&B was located in a nondescript building that was basically in the heart of Florence. I was glad this worked out that way, since it's not an exact science when you are booking rooms in cities you've never been to and don't really know the layout of. Any way it was a really old building with exposed beams. It was a lovely place, and the hostess was friendly, English speaking ( she's a native Canadian), and very informative. It's great to have a host who will give you valuable information to make the most of a limited timeframe. In hindsight though, we would have passed up on the museums in favor of experiencing a little more flavor of the city. I consider myself one who appreciates art, but I find it hard to really appreciate room after room of nothing but renaissance era Mary and bambini paintings. I don't have a grasp whatsoever of the technical side of painting or the level of difficulty in achieving a certain perspective, balance, lighting, etc. I'm way more simple than that. I appreciate what I like; what I see as beautiful and/or meaningful in some way. My favorite artist is Pino. Anyway, the point of this long-winded explanation is that Jonathan was bored to tears in the art museums (though he was everlastingly patient with my need to read everything and see everything), and I felt a little robbed at not seeing the Boboli gardens or the Medici's former residences.
This is the rooftop terrace at our B&B. It was lovely and a nice perk at an economically priced B&B.
Other than the view from the Duomo, this is the best place to appreciate fully the Florentine landscape. We actually walked here, to the Piazzale Michelangiolo. It took a little longer than I had planned, and since we were short on time, I would reccomend taking the bus if you wanted to see it and still take in some of the other great spots in Florence. This is definitely a tourist hotspot, but it is not convenient to the rest of town. It was lovely to be there at dusk and to take in some of the local musicians. Very romantic!

No comments: