Tuesday, June 17, 2008

More Cinque Terre: Jonny's camera

It has been very difficult selecting just a few pics from each destination; I want to take all of you with me and show you everything! We literally have thousands of pictures from this trip, so if you're ever in CT and want a virtual tour of Italy, we can definitely provide one! This pic is of the coastline in between villages on our hike. It was so peaceful. Can there be any doubt there is a God in heaven?


This is another pic of Vernazza as we descended the hike from Monterosso.


Jonathan took this picture from the boat as we were motoring away from Riomaggiore and heading back to Vernazza for the evening. Look at all the people who couldn't get on the boat. Boy were we glad we made it. This was the last ride of the evening. Everyone else either had to hike back or take the train. There aren't any roads that connect the villages, since there really aren't any cars either!

Jonny and I on the boat ride back...


This, ladies and gentleman, is the beach. No, this is not just a snippet of the beach...this is ALL there is of it. A small patch of sand between the boat dock and the rocky cliffs. Better get here early and bring a big towel, because people aren't shy about crowding around and making room for themselves. Also, it should be noted that tops are optional in most European beaches. I spotted a topless girl and strategically positioned my towel so as not to have her in my line of sight. I got all settled in with my magazine and started reading, when what happened next? I looked up and there was another one, literally right in front of me! I could have reached out and tickled her toes she was that close. In their defense though, there were 5, 10, and 12 year old little girls frolicking topless on the beach as well, and nobody seemed to be suggesting they put tops on. If society doesn't ever teach you modesty, why should it ever cross your mind to do differently? From what I could observe, this habit persists until gravity and child-bearing take their toll. Thankfully, the combination of those two effects seemed to have prompted the other women on the beach to cover up. Truth be told, I wouldn't mind frolicking on the beach half nude either. I just wouldn't want an audience!

2 comments:

Xela said...

Mandy, So good to hear from you! How are you guys? Are you feeling settled in your new place yet? Your trip looks so amazing, I hope that Jeff and I are able to go someday soon! :) So glad you are blogging and we can keep in contact with eachother!

JM Inc. said...

Xela, welcome to my leetle blog! We are doing well; sometimes I feel a little half-drowned from the chaos of getting settled, but it's slowly coming along. The trip was phenomenal! We recommend it to anyone. I'm enjoying myself on this blog and hope to be caught up to the present day by the end of the month. I'll keep my fingers crossed!