Thursday, August 27, 2009

I've decided to test the water...

For several days I've been feverishly researching, and learning
a new language.

My scribbles contain the following below:


Cd'ing
sposies
soaker
rise
gusset
flannel vs. wool vs. hemp
AIO, AI2, fitted, flat, prefolded, pockets
super trim
aplix vs. snap
zorb liners
NO to microfiber and microsuede
longies, shorties,
baby legs
PUL covers
pins & snappis


Oh, and YES, Bamboo too...

What's all that you ask?

It is the language spoken by the underground sub-culture
known as the cloth diapering movement.




Everyone has their reasons for investigating
the alternative to the disposable a.k.a. sposie
diaper. Mine are probably not as vogue as
you might think. I'm not interested for its greener
properties (some say that argument is debatable
anyway when you factor all the extra water
being used to clean cloth diapers), nor am I
economically motivated, per se, though that does
appear to be a possible silver lining.

I've been taking stock of my family's emergency
preparedness and find myself wanting in so many
areas that it is daunting just selecting where to begin.

Having had Max recently has put a new spin in the way
I see my preparedness, and I've been pondering how
caring for my children would be different in a world
without a Target just up the street. Whether or not
that day ever actually comes doesn't really matter to me.
I have been called to prepare.
So, in that vein, I've been researching recipes for babyfood
and methods of safely preparing and storing babyfood...and
that's how I got to this diaper thing. I thought, "What would
I do if I couldn't just go purchase a box of diapers for Max?"
I DO have some prefolds artfully disguised as burpies, but
I wouldn't be prepared to use them in a pinch as a diaper.
I got to thinking about it ( and yes it did conjure up some pretty
icky and stinky images), and I decided I would dip my toes
in the water and test it out.

I'm not making a commitment. I haven't suddenly become
the green queen, nor am I loudly advocating this alterna method
and preaching damnation to the naysayers. I'm just giving it a try.
I've come up with a small list of beginner supplies and am armed
with what I hope is good information on cleaning, drying, and
maintaining a cloth diapering home.

I have already experienced the worst of it as far as blowouts and
nighttime leaks are concerned with the disposables I'm currently
using. I really don't see much difference b/w regularly laundering
poopie prefolds or pooped clothes and soaked sheets. Laundry is
already, sadly, a regular part of my daily existence...and it's here to
stay.

The two things I am most unsure about so far are:
1). What does tent camping look like with a cd baby,
and 2). What does vacationing of any kind look like
with a cd diaper.

I feel like I could probably establish a home routine
that worked for me, but I fear the away from home for long periods
aspect of it.

It could derail the entire experiment. For now, I'm going to make
a small investment and plant the seed.

This will be a well-documented journey...

If you or someone you know has anything informative
to share on the subject I'd love to hear!

3 comments:

Brandi said...

Wow Mandy, good luck with that! I'm glad you mentioned it in regard to preparedness though. Very impt!!! Being the stockpile lady that I am I try to never get too low on diapers. I almost always have a full box in waiting. So I hope it would last me through a minor preparedness issue, but you are right I would be totally unprepared if I had to use cloth. phew. Keep us updated. I would love your knowledge on the research you've done.

Oh and the few people I know who have done it use disposables for trips, camping, etc. where washing is too difficult.

Tricia said...

You're brave, Mandy! I researched cloth for Sarah, but then we moved, so I never went for it. I look forward to more posts about how it's going...good luck!

Shan B. said...

Hey Mandy!! My brother Shane & his wife Liz cloth diapered Dennis. She might have some advice for you. Good luck. I babysat a kid that was cloth diapered & let's just say not my thing....although I know they have way better stuff now. If we had to use cloth someday I'm sure we would all adapt. Hopefully it's not something I'll have to worry about. Good luck.