Sunday, August 23, 2009

Origins of name...

One of my favorite questions to ask new moms is "Where did you get the name?" I am really quite horrible at remembering names (I often need to be reminded on several occasions before it sticks) but sometimes knowing how they got it in the first place galvanizes it in my memory; it's also usually interesting to find out about the deceased relative, favorite character from a book (Barry Manilow song in my case), etc. People have such varied and interesting reasons for selecting the names they do. So I thought I'd explain the names in our family, particularly since we have made Max so confusing to so many (my pediatrician still calls him Joshua everytime I go in).

Kennedy Reese: Jonathan and I were at Costco in Provo (dating, not even engaged), when a darling little girl, long blonde curls, probably age four, went dashing down the aisle as her mother hollered after her "Kennedy!!!" It was love at first hearing. I knew right then and there that my first daughters name would be Kennedy. Roughly around this same time the movie Sweet Home Alabama was out (on the big screen or DVD I can't recall) featuring Reese Witherspoon. Having just returned from serving my mission in Alabama, I rather enjoyed the movie and was reminded how much I enjoy Reese as an actress....hence the moniker of my first child was born.

Macy Cleo: This name came about in kind of reverse order. Jonathan declared after Kennedy was born, that our next daughter (should there be a next) would have Cleo in her name. Why?? Because "Grandma Cleo is an upright Christian woman possessing all the noble traits we could ever wish for in a daughter" (or something like that). Well I couldn't argue with him, Grandma Cleo is an angel even if she's declared on a hundred or more occasions that she's methodist born and bred and will most definitely finish out her life as a methodist dead. At the time, our neighbor down the street had a sweet little pup named Cleo too, and I just couldn't bring myself to give my baby the name as her first. Having decided Cleo would be in the middle, I needed a name retro enough that it would seem to fit well with it. We moved to Texas from Louisiana mid-pregnancy (I had only six weeks left) and I discovered Macy was an anchorwoman for a local broadcast of the nightly news. Seemed like a good fit, and I was running out of time to decide. So Macy Cleo came to be.

Joshua Max: You know him as "Max" and that's exactly how we intended it. Odd I know (my elementary school teachin' mother-in-law said I shouldn't have done it that way), but it turns out it's a family tradition. My paternal grandmother's name is Mary Diane, but she's known to all as Diane. She calls both her sons by their middle name, and I decided to continue the legacy. Cruel, maybe. I hope not though. As for the names themselves: My first mission president's name was Perry Max. I almost would have just named him that exactly, except he had a son by the same name whom I dated and am NOT married to. Might have been bothersome to my husband...but I still liked the name... Well it turns out Jonathan's maternal great grandfather's name was Max too. We really stewed and stewed over what to call this little boy, and it came right down to the wire before we decided. I must have suggested hundreds of possibilities. Apparently Jonathan just knows too many people though, because he had known a guy who did a dumb thing by the same name of every other one I suggested. We were getting nowhere. Luckily we still had Max, a name we were both happy with that had the added bonus of pleasing the extended family. My mother suggested, rather forcefully, that we follow her tradition of tacking on a name that was biblical in nature since that was the tradition she'd started with her boys. We agreed Joshua went well with Max, but for some reason Max Joshua just didn't sound as good to us.

If you have a hankering, I'd love to hear how the creative process of babynaming takes shape in your family!

3 comments:

Audrey said...

Mandy, I love all of your kids names and all have a good story to go with them. I really don't have very good stories but with my first Daegan Tyson, my husband wanted to name him Detmer (like as in Ty Detmer, he played for BYU and Tyson loved him when he was growing up) Well I thought and still think it is a dumb first name so I told him "NO!!" Then Tyson was looking on the internet found the name Daegan. I thought Daegan was way better then Detmer and agreed to it right away. So my first boy name is Daegan Tyson (middle name is after my husband)
My second child's name (if she ever decides to make an appearance) is going to be Tayci Lee. My father in law actually came up with the name and it is really the only girl name my husband and I have liked so it wasn't hard to decided on that one either. Then her middle name will be my middle name which as you know is Grandma's name.
So I have to say your stories for your kids names are way better than mine.
Your kids are so cute too!

Shan B. said...

Well...It looks like you had a great vacation!! Glad I got to see you. Stories about names...Well...Brad really wanted to use the name Alex because that was one of his fave missionary comps name. So I said ok because I think it is a nice name. Then at the time we were really in to "the Amazing Race" & there was a brother sister team...Blake & Paige. Brad said he liked the name Blake & I was very surprised because he said he didn't want a "trendy" name but I was very excited because I LOVED the name. We didn't like how Alex Blake sounded so one day I said what about Blake Alexander. It stuck & we never told anyone until he was actually born & I blurted it out after he was finally born. If you asked Brad....he would say that's not where the name Blake came from but I know the truth. As for Sonny.....well Brad used to listen to "The Adam Corrolla" show on the radio in the mornings. He & his wife were expecting twins...boy & girl. They were going to name the boy Sonny. Brad told me he wanted to name him Sonny & I DID NOT want that name. I thought it was dumb. I fought him on it for a while & then I finally gave in. We both liked the way that Sonny Nathanael sounded & I decided that we should spell it like in the Bible. You wouldn't believe how many people want to spell it --iel which I think is girly!!. Then after we decided that was "the name" I found out that Brad's uncles 1st name is Nathan (he also goes by his middle name) & that Grandpa Johns used to go by Sonny before he met Grandma. I'm not in to naming my kids after people in the family & we didn't name him after anyone but it was kinda cool how it worked out & I can't imagine calling him anything else...he is a little ray of sunshine. It is funny when older folks ask if it's a nickname or his given name. Sorry for the long comment. I love to hear how people came up with names too. Fun to hear you stories & I never realized about the middle name thing...kinda cool.

Brandi said...

Mandy, I'm so glad you did this post and I'm happy to have more detail on your kids names. IT's so fun. You've reminded me that I wanted to do a similar post about Delaney's name. IT was such a toughie decision for us. Maybe I'll follow your lead and just tell about all the kids. Hey it's good family history right?