Sunday, July 20, 2008

Playa

More of Jonathan and Chris...all I can say is what a STEVE!!


Chichen Iza was too far of a bus ride for this trip, so we took a trip to a similar ruins site called Coba. It was so fascinating for me to see the ancient Mayan culture up close and to imagine some of the stories from the Book of Mormon that I have read coming to life and happening here. The picture shown depicts what archaeologists believe the stone representation below once looked like.

If you look closely at this pic, you can see the "hoop" in the far upper left of the shot. You can imagine my surprise when I discovered they hadn't just invented that game for El Dorado! I love visiting ruins and seeing a glimpse into the past. It is very thought-provoking to think of the evolution of cultures and the rise and fall of great nations and societies. I really wish that I could have been as interested in history in high school as I am now.

No comments: