Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Three's Company

Yes, I know I'm what you might call a little inconsistent. This is officially a cry for "help!" Stress-wise I don't find three too bad, but I have discovered this is the magic number when a day planner is an absolute necessity. My time management skills are lacking...and a lot of things in my life are inconsistent right now...


Luckily, Kennedy, the little diva, is a BIG helper! She's so capable and I can already see how she is going to turn into me, a miniature mommy by age 11! She's feisty, self-assured, confident, and headstrong. I think we can agree she comes by those traits honestly...a little scary, I know, but if we can just nurture her little testimony I know she can use them for good purposes.

My mom (mother of 6) has always told me she thought 3 was the hardest adjustment. I sincerely hope she's right. We watched some of our friends' kids on Sat. so they could have a date night, and that was a breeze. They have a 6 yr. old, 3 yr. old, and 6 mo. old. The baby slept and so did the toddler (thanks to a dose of Zyrtec). The 6 yr. old was so well-mannered and played well with Kennedy and Macy. On the other hand, today I watched another friend's kids, aged 18 mos. and 3 yr. old. This was acutely different from the previous experience. Not that the kids are difficult, just that the ages are more demanding (oh, and minus the sleepiness in the toddler). In my non-scientific experience, 5 kids ages 4 and under was astronomically more demanding than 6 kids ages 6 and under (of course there is that anomaly of a sleeping toddler). I think the big doosie was the 18 mo. old. That phase is all over the place and into everything. Having two infants in the house wasn't so bad because they took long naps and neither are mobile. Where is all this going you are wondering? I'm still trying to figure that out...what my outer limitations are. What the ideal spacing is b/w kids (not that I'm contemplating another pregnancy in the near future), and when I'll hit that magical number when I know I'm done...

In the meantime I'm eternally grateful for these three who each bring something extra special into our hearts and home. Macy is my tender-hearted lover. From the moment she arrived on this earth, she has craved touch and affection. It was clear to us very early on that she would be our cuddler...

And this little face, the soft touch of his hand as he nurses, always fills me with joy. It is kind of a marvel that when he wakes me at 3 a.m. I am bleary-eyed & grumpy, yet when I pick him up and he nuzzles in for his feeding, all that melts away and a profound sense of happiness washes over me... I ask you, could you resist that dimpled face?

So, while many days I stay in m ypajamas far too long, and the dishes pile in the sink far too high, I AM learning a lot about myself and making a concerted effort to have a purpose-driven life. A recent favorite talk of mine discussed the need in each of our lives for creation and compassion. While it's not an overly ambitious goal, for now I'm striving to be a dependable friend and to create a sense of community and warmth in my own home. It's not much, but it's a start...




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Horray for new posts! :) I haven't checked your blog in a while due to lack of blogging. ;) Understandably so, since your computer was down and you just had a baby.
Thanks for your comment on my blog... I would love to meet you and your kids too. It does sound like our girls would love to play together. Your oldest sounds very much like my Kylie and your little one sounds a lot like my Savannah.
Congrats on your new addition... what a little cutie he is! Love his chubby cheeks and dimples.

Beth said...

I love using a sling...isn't it a life saver?! I'm glad I got to know your kids better through reading this post! Your little guy's dimples look so kissable.

Shan B. said...

Just want you to know that I think you are an amazing girl. You inspire me to be a more loving mom, which I've had difficulty in recently. Like doesn't always go the way we think it should & sometimes it's hard to see the good. I have decided that I will be better & that all things pass but I just wanted to let you know that You are a wonderful example even though we are so far away from eachother. I've always thought that you were pretty perfect & I was a little jealous, but I love you & want you to know I'm glad we are back in touch. ♥♥♥

Melanie said...

Love getting caught up! Your little boy sure is darling and your girls are just growing up so fast! Miss you guys!