Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy Anniversary to Us!

We each have our own fantasies about the perfect way to celebrate an occasion...


For most women I know, those fantasies are pretty, rose-colored affairs in an idyllic, other-worldly kind of way. I'm definitely one of those kind...I can dream up BIG dreams...most of the time they remain in that state, tucked away somewhere in my mind. However, this year Jonathan nailed it, albeit with a little help from a friendly and well-heeled boss. He surprised me by lining up a sitter (something he actually does all the time), and taking me on a little trip through the countryside to Washington...
Washington, CT., that is.


You may or may not have heard of the little inn and spa located there. You can read about it here. I certainly hadn't heard of it; apparently I don't read Vanity Fair, Travel & Leisure, or the NYT!
Upon being seated at our table, a lovely arrangement bearing a striking resemblance to my wedding bouquet was brought out as our centerpiece. Would you believe that Jonathan had the thoughtful epiphany to recreate my wedding bouquet as a gift for our anniversary??! That is exactly the kind of thing a woman dreams up...and he came up with it all by himself. I was shocked, and smitten all over again!
The evening affair started with the scrumptious salad pictured above. It was one of my favorite parts of the meal. Boston Bibb leaves with crunchy prosciutto bits...yummy!




The main course was followed by this tempting beauty, graciously offered by our dining mates across the aisle. It is a funny thing to note that of our last three anniversary celebrations, two of them were spent in very tasteful restaurants where very chatty, complete strangers, managed to dominate the conversation most of the night. This anniversary was one of those occasions...I guess the silver lining was that the chap (translate: fella) obviously felt he owed us something; either that or he felt a deep sense of camraderie after dining alongside us. In any case, he generously offered to get our desserts in honor of the occasion. Never mind that he was there to celebrate his own wife's birthday, who he managed to ignore most of the night!



Our table by the fireplace

Reception
Me, in the parlor, with the OTHER man in my life...
To round out the evening, we returned home to watch Nights in Rodanthe,
a Redbox selection. It was a fabulous evening. It felt great getting all dressed up, and going on a date, even if we DID have a chaperone (:
And this post sums up pretty well the differences b/w men and women;
Jonathan also loved his anniversary gift... a backpack style heavy duty Echo leaf blower! Good thing we both know how to make the other one happy. Here's to six wonderfully happy, event-filled years!




3 comments:

Beth said...

Good planning on your hubbie's part. How many years is that?

Tricia said...

Sounds like lots of fun! And your spring post was darling. The girls are getting so grown up. And Max is precious...especially in that jacket! :) (although I'm sad I made it so small...sorry!) I agree with you about the dimples...irresistable!

Brandi said...

Wow I think I got screwed on the Hubby Cope creativity. Brian would never think to do the recreation of the wedding flowers. Kudos to Johnny. Can he teach Brian? :) Congrats to you guys!